Sundays 10:00 AM (In Person and Online)
211 St. George St., Brantford, ON N3R 1W5
(519) 753-5761

Police Check Instructions

Step 1: Do you need one?

Police checks are required for all adult (18+) volunteers in ministries that target children, youth, or vulnerable adults (e.g., GriefShare, visitation care team). Those under 18 do not need a police check.

Step 2: Determine the Type of Police Check You Need

The type of police check you need depends on if you are a new or returning leader:

New/ReturningType of Police Check Required
New leaderPolice Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
Returning leaderPolice Criminal Record Check (PCRC) or Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
Returning after a 5+ year break Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)

Note that returning leaders can submit the simpler-to-obtain PCRC instead of the PVSC required for new leaders. One way the PCRC is simpler is that it does not require a letter from us.

Step 3: Obtain a Letter From Queensway (in-person PVSC only)

A vulnerable sector check (PVSC) requires a letter be submitted to the police station when applying in-person (online applications do not require a letter). This letter is needed to verify your eligibility for a vulnerable sector check. Please contact the office if you have not received one.

Step 4: Apply In-Person or Online

Online (Brantford Residents Only)

Brantford residents must apply online if they are able. Your identity will be verified by asking you questions based on your personal credit file. There is no online option for Brant County Residents.

In-Person (Brantford Residents)

Brantford has moved to a paperless police check system in which the online system must be used unless you do not have the ability to use the online system. If you cannot use the online system, you must receive special permission to apply in-person from the Police Records Manager. You may call the Police Records Manager at the non-emergency line (519-756-0113 or 519-756-7050).

In-Person (Brant County Residents)

Bring your letter from Queensway and 2 pieces of government photo ID to the Brant County OPP Detachment (health cards and SIN numbers are not considered valid forms of ID).

Location: 67 Bethel Rd., Paris, ON

Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:15 PM

Phone: 519-442-2242

Step 5: Submit Your Receipt

You may be charged a fee for your police check. If you are, please keep the receipt and submit it to the office so we can reimburse you for the cost.

(Brant County residents submitting their police check application to the OPP are not charged a fee if it is for volunteer service.)

Step 6: Submit Your Police Check to the Office

Police checks are sent to you and not to Queensway directly. When you receive your police check you must submit it to the office as soon as possible.