We have an opportunity to serve the homeless and impoverished during this Covid-19 crisis.
There is a food distribution ministry in town called Brantford Blessing Centre. They provide hot meals for free to anyone in need. Previously it aimed to serve the community 3 times a week, but the Covid-19 crisis has added additional burden on the poor, and they are trying to rally churches to provide a hot meal 7 days a week.
What is Involved?
- We would sign up for particular days beginning in May (whichever days we have volunteers for)
- For each day we sign up for, a team of 5 people would purchase food for 60-100 clients (the church will reimburse), bring it to the Blessing Centre, prepare it, distribute it, and clean up. A Blessing Centre representative will be onsite to offer building support.
- The time commitment is about 3:30-7:00 PM.
- A coordinator for our teams. In our season of transition our current leadership is strained. To proceed, we need a willing volunteer to help coordinate our part in the ministry.
- Teams of 5 people to prepare the food. If we only get one team of 5, that is totally fine. One team is better than none.
In order to prevent the spread of Covid-19, The Blessing Centre is taking the following precautions:
- Food is being distributed outside in take-out containers. Previously they would welcome people inside their facility, but they have ceased that practice for this time. No one is being invited to stay and eat. It is simply about distributing food on-the-go.
- The actual handing of food to clients is being done in a way that avoids contact.
- Hand sanitizer will be made available.
Please contact Pastor Ryan directly if you have any questions or are interested in coordinating or participating in a team to serve this ministry. Consider this opportunity prayerfully. For all the risk it entails, this is a great opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus to the vulnerable (Matthew 25:42-45).
May 30th/ June 29th Team :
We are excited to announce that we have a team ! A huge Thank you to Diane M, Lisa D, Joel Y & Elaine M for all the time and effort you have put into preparing to serve in this ministry. Please join us in prayer for our Blessing Centre team as they serve Saturday May 30th & Monday June 29th.
* If you would like to support this service opportunity Queensway is responsible for supplying the food for each dinner service we sign up for. To give you a rough idea of cost, a dinner service costs about $200. If you would like to support our team & the Blessing Centre please designate funds online or by cheque . Please make sure you indicate in the notes the funds are designated to the “Blessing Centre Fund”.