Do you want to help us create something new from the ground up?
Even in this COVID-19 pandemic we are all facing, Queensway Baptist Church (QBC) wishes to take every opportunity to be a light for Jesus to children, youth, and families.
Over the last several years we have run a successful Kids Camp (VBS) summer half-day camp program for kids age 3-11 during the third week of July. In recent years we have welcomed more than 140 children for Kids Camp utilizing over 60 volunteers. We have also run a successful Leaders in Training (LIT) program for youth aged 11-17 who wish to volunteer as leaders for Kids Camp. This year, however, due to COVID-19, we will be unable to run Kids Camp and LIT in the same way.
We seek a candidate who will help us to develop and implement a creative solution for children, youth, and family outreach during the pandemic. There is no template for what we want to do, so we are inviting you to join our team as we figure out how to do this together!
1. Develop and coordinate a pandemic-friendly replacement for our Kids Camp program that is delivered online and/or respects social distancing
We have a community of 85+ families who have trusted our Kids Camp program in recent years. We want to serve that population in some way this summer, but our current staff are already stretched trying to engage the rest of the church online. We need your help!
We seek a candidate who can work alongside our Pastor of Family Ministries to develop and coordinate some form of “Kids Camp experience” this summer. We are assuming at this point that social distancing will still be required this summer, and even if it is not, it is likely gathering sizes will be significantly limited. Will it be online only? Will it involve some sort of socially distanced gatherings? We do not know yet, and we want you to help us figure that out!
2. Develop and coordinate pandemic-friendly youth activities as a replacement for our Kids Camp LIT program
Just as with Kids Camp above, we have a number of youth who year after year would serve as leaders for our Kids Camp. In 2019 we had 26 youth volunteers. Having them help with Kids Camp allowed them to be developed as leaders and to also receive the good news of the Gospel. We want to develop some way to engage our current youth while also inviting other youth from the community to join in. Just as with Kids Camp, we do not know what that looks like yet. We want you to help us figure that out!
3. Teach Bible lessons to children for our Sunday morning “QKids Online” program
QKids Online is our Internet-streamed children’s program which premieres Sundays at 11:00 AM. In partnership with the Pastor of Family Ministries, the candidate will record lessons for the QKids Online program. The candidate will also coordinate additional mid-week “at home” activities such as crafts, etc.
4. Secondary Responsibilities (Optional)
At Queensway we are committed to investing in your Kingdom work, whether that will bless Queensway or some other church in the future. Therefore, we are happy to negotiate additional leadership roles in other areas of church life (where possible due to pandemic limitations) which can be discussed ongoing with pastoral staff.
QBC takes safety from COVID-19 very seriously. Currently all staff are working from home and all church meetings are happening over Zoom video conferencing. Church services are being livestreamed from the church building, but social distancing is expected from the few who are on site to produce it. We are committed to abiding by government requirements and recommendations to prevent the spread of the disease.
For the present time, the candidate will be expected to do the majority of their work from home unless government restrictions develop in such a way that we are able to return working on-site. It is therefore the responsibility of the candidate to have the tools necessary to perform their job functions at home (e.g., a computer, a webcam, and a stable Internet connection). We are happy to provide basic office supplies.
- Experience working with and/or teaching children.
- Competence working with computers including Microsoft Word, Excel, and social media.
- Competence in recording video. Ability to edit video is a bonus, but not required.
- Possession of the digital tools necessary to perform necessary job functions during a pandemic (e.g., computer with a webcam for video conferencing, a stable Internet connection, a digital video recording device such as a smartphone)
- Works respectfully and joyfully with teenagers and adults.
- A team-player who empowers leadership in others rather than retaining control over everything.
- A servant and student attitude. The candidate does not need to have already established all the ideal qualities of a leader, but they must accept training and coaching willingly and humbly.
- Education requirement: must have completed high school.
- Completion of a Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Personal faith in Jesus Christ and demonstration of that faith in lifestyle and character.
- We welcome candidates from any Christian tradition, but they must respect our Canadian Baptist statement of beliefs in public statements and teaching (https://baptist.ca/about/what-do-baptists-believe/).
“Canada Summer Jobs” Eligibility Requirements
This position is anticipated to be funded through the Canada Summer Jobs grant program. In accordance with the CSJ grant requirements, eligible candidates must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment; (note, however, that QBC’s requirement is that high school must have been completed)
- be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
Please note that being a student is no longer a requirement, as has been the case in years past.
Status: Full Time
Hours per week: 31
Hourly rate: $14.00
Start/End Dates: Monday, June 15, 2020 – Sunday, August 16, 2020
Due to the flexible nature of the position, it may be that regular hours will shift a little due to the evolving nature of the position. Here is what we anticipate the weekly hours might look like:
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM with a lunch hour (see “day off” below)
Sundays: Possibly 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM (if not, the 3 hours will be flex hours to be taken on another day)
Day off: One day between Monday-Friday (your choice) will be designated as your day off.
Other job-related hours:
“After Hours”: Job-related activities (e.g., evening meetings) will occasionally take place outside of regular hours and will be communicated well in advance for scheduling purposes.
Lieu time: We are happy to offer time off in lieu of additional hours worked outside of regular hours.
Application Submission Instructions:
To apply for the position, please ensure the following requirements are met:
- Application deadline is Monday, June 8, 2020 at 11:59 PM EDT.
- Applications must only be emailed. No paper applications.
- The following two (2) documents must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as attachments to apply (do not include these documents in the body of the email):
- Cover Letter
- Cover letter and resume must only be in MS Word .doc or .docx format or in Adobe PDF format (not .rtf, .odt, .wpd, Google Docs, etc.).
- Attachment file names must begin with your first and last name, followed by a dash, followed by the document type (“Your Name – Document Type.xxx”).
Example file names:
John Smith – Resume.doc
Jane Smith – Cover Letter.docx
Alice Allison – Resume.pdf
Queensway Baptist Church is an intergenerational congregation established in 1952 located in the “Henderson Survey” residential area of Brantford, Ontario, Canada. Our Sunday Worship draws an average of 120 people across all ages. Our active church life includes small groups, youth programs, social events, and more. Our mission is to sacrificially love Jesus and serve others together. We are affiliated with the Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec.